The Special Term caters to Undergraduate (UG) students under the modular faculties system who wish to graduate earlier.
- UG students admitted to non-modular faculties namely, Medicine / Dentistry / Law where the programme structure and duration are fixed (except Law DDP students whose 2nd degree is registered with a modular faculty), are excluded.
Some Faculties/Schools may offer graduate modules during the Special Term for graduate students (research and coursework) to read.
If you are a current overseas student registered at another University, NUS welcomes you to join us as a Non-Graduating (Exchange or Non-Exchange) student during the Special Term.
Returning Full-Time National Servicemen (NSmen) who have places reserved for them in NUS and will be registering as UG students in the upcoming Semester 1 can join the Non-Graduating Programme in the Special Term.
Details on Special Term
Dates of Special Term
Dropping of Module(s)
Examination Related Matters
Module Registration, Fees and Other Information
DATES OF SPECIAL TERM
- The Special Term comprises two parts, each of which lasts six weeks:
||May to June (6 Weeks)
||June to July (6 Weeks)
Students may register for modules in either Part 1 or 2, or both.
- Please refer to the Academic Calendar for actual dates of Special Term Part 1 and 2.
- For students in the Part-time Bachelor of Technology (BTech) Programme, please visit the BTech Programme website for the BTech Academic Calendar.
The list of modules available in each Special Term is published in November of each Academic Year (AY).
- For Undergraduate students and Non-graduating students, please refer to the list of available modules here#1.
- For Graduate students, please refer to the list of available modules here.
For more details on the class and examination timetable (lecture, tutorial and laboratories if any), please refer to the NUSMods.
In general, students take no more than two modules per part of the Special Term.
#1Non-Graduating students may have module restrictions.
DROPPING OF MODULE(S)
- Students may choose to drop any modules for which they have earlier registered. Please note the penalty and fee policy applicable for dropping modules within the following timelines:
||Special Term (Part 1 & 2)
||Fees not payable
||By end of Instructional Week 1 of each part of special term
|"W" grade* for module(s)
||By end of Instructional Week 2 of each part of special term
|"F" grade for module(s)
||1st day of Instructional Week 3 onwards of each part of special term
Please refer to the Academic Calendar for the actual effective periods of “W” and “F” grade.
#2Fees payable are only applicable for Undergraduates, Returning National Servicemen, Graduate and Non-Graduating Non-Exchange Students only.
- Students who have to drop modules after Week 1 because they fail the pre-requisite modules in the Semester 2 examinations will not be granted a fee waiver.
- Students are not able to exercise Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) option on the modules dropped during the “F” grade period.
(Note: Points (2) and (3) are not applicable to Non-Graduating students)
MODULE REGISTRATION, FEES AND OTHER INFORMATION
For module registration, fees, enquiries and other information, please refer to the respective websites as follows: